The Toddler Program at Waterdown Montessori School is designed for children 18 months to 3 years of age. It is not a daycare, but rather an enriched, respectful environment that stimulates the child’s natural curiosity. It meets their innate developmental needs while supporting their quest to become independent, social beings. Their day consists of an active play/work time, snack/lunch, outdoor play or gym, nap time and circle or group time. A 1:5 ratio is maintained, and our teachers and assistants are knowledgeable, patient, and caring individuals who will help your child develop routines, guide social interactions, provide stimulating activities and care for all your child’s needs. Gross motor and fine motor activities are part of the daily routine. Age appropriate materials are provided to enhance the toddler’s language, cognitive and motor skill development as well as promote independence and social interactions.
Both Direct & Indirect Aims As with all Montessori programming, the materials and activities in the Toddler room have both direct and indirect aims in preparing and aiding the children in their natural development.
- Language Development – oral language is encouraged, labelling of the environment, hearing correct spoken language, books, songs, finger plays
- Fine Motor Skills – strengthen and refine hand/eye coordination, introduction of the pincer movement in preparation for writing, use of various age-appropriate manipulatives to strengthen and develop the hand
- Gross Motor Skills – movement is an integral part of the classroom and child development. Within the classroom and outdoors there are many opportunities for walking, climbing, balancing, and sensory experiences – activities involving water, sand, various textures, various shapes
- Social Opportunities – classroom operates as a community, children are encouraged and taught to put away materials, share, listen, take turns, wait, and greet people. Lessons of grace and courtesy are an integral part of the classroom’s daily routine.
- Cognitive Learning – shapes, colours, vocabulary building, picture matching, labelling
- Independence – dressing skills, setting table, choice of work, toileting
“The education of even a very small child does not aim at preparing them for school, but for life.” – Maria Montessori
Visit CCMA website http://waterdownmontessori.com/ccma-program-characteristics/ for more information about the program and Montessori education.
The most important thing for myself and my wife is that our son is in a very trusted, nurturing and educating environment. Waterdown Montessori do all in abundance. All the staff are amazing – the changes we see in our little man are amazing – thank you Daniel Coleman
I highly recommend the school. My son was a failure to thrive when he was a baby, but thanks to the school and great teachers he is on the highest level academically and is able to fulfill his full potential. He has blossomed socially and his practical life skills are impressing everyone we meet. His love of trying new things and exploring amazes me every day. To me this is the best investment for the future of our family and for the future of our whole planet. By raising kids the right way we will make this world a better place. Kinga Zak